The City of The Dead.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Karyan's life

Go down

Karyan's life Empty Karyan's life

Post by Diz Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Karyan was born into a normal family, with normal parents, and normal older sister. But Karyan, she was different, ever since she was born there was something  peculiar about her. Though no one realized this while she was an infant. But as she grew, she began spacing out during games of hide and seek and when she came back to her senses she would head straight over to the spot where her friend was hiding because she had seen exactly where he was hiding in her mind.

Her parents never knew about Karyan's ability until one day when a convist had escaped prison and was hiding somewhere in their neighborhood when she was 6.

"Folks, I'm going to have to ask you to please stay in your house with your children until this man is caught. He is extremely dangerous and could be anywhere." The officer said speaking over the ruckus the residents were making.

"Come one girls get inside quickly" Their mother, Hannah, ordered and followed behind them into the house.

"But why momma?"Karyan asked slightly frightened by all of this.

"Because of that murderer escaping from prison, dork" Her older sister of 13, Shelby, snapped.

"Shelby, be nice to your sister!" Their father, Robert, said angrily.

"Whatever." Selby retorted and flipped on the tv to the news.

"Is that him?"Karyan asked seeing the convict's picture flash onto the screen.

"Yes, but you're in here so he can't get to you." Hannah answered softly.

"I know where he is.." Karyan said in a quiet voice almost inaudibly.

"You couldn't possibly know where he is, you've never seen him before" Robert pointed out, but looked at his daughter curiously.

"I do know where he is, he's in that old barn behind the mean old man's house!" Karyan persisted.

"Stop making up stories Karyan, What's going on is serious."Robert ordered.

"But-" Karyan started.

"No. No more talking about you knowing where he is and that's final" He snapped going into the living room with Hannah.

~later that day~

"Police have now stated that they have captured the convict, and that he was found hiding in a barn in an elderly man's  backyard. Police say-" The reporter explained but as cut short when Hannah shut off the tv and looked shocked at Karyan. Remembering what the child had said earlier about knowing that the man was hiding in the barn. 

"Karyan... How did you know where that man was hiding earlier?"she asked slowly.
"I saw him hiding there." She said indifferently.

"Honey, you were with us all day, and we are no where near the barn. So how did you know?" she repeated more urgently this time.
"I saw him in my mind hiding there." She said a little unsure this time.

"This isn't a joke Karyan. Tell us how you knew. Did he come up and talk to you when we weren't looking? Did he pass by our house?" Robert asked angrily.

"I told you! I saw him in my mind. I don't how but I did..." Karyan answered angrily back.

"You can't see people in your mind Karyan, that's not possible! Go to your room until you decide to tell the truth!" Robert yelled.
Karyan's eyes teared up as she ran up stairs to her room, crying, and slamming the door behind her.

Robert and Hannah discussed the incident with Karyan for a while. Robert kept arguing that she was lying to them. While Hannah argued that maybe he did talk to her and she was just making up a story to cover it up. 

The argument lasted a long time, but eventually died down and everyone went to bed put the whole thing behind them.

~9 years later~

"Hey freak! why don't you try finding me with your mind?" A bully asked obnoxiously and threw a stick at her.

"Leave me alone! I can't do anything like that!" Karyan cried and ran off. For years now she's been being picked on because of her sister Shelby telling half the school about what she told her parents she could do many years before. The bullying started then and still continues to this day. She just wants to be left alone but everywhere she goes in the school the students pick at her, even a few teachers have joined in on the whole thing. Except for this new boy. Dylan. He was the only person there that never picked on her, but he didn't say anything to try and stop either. He just stood off on the sidelines observing.

Sometimes she even caught him watching her intently as she walked or ran by him to get away.He had been there for a couple months now and she didn't understand why he just stood there staring, always staring.

As she ran passed him today he started to follow her this time. Silently but quickly. Karyan hid in the janitor's closet like usual and crawled into a tight corner trying to disappear for a few hours.

Dylan came in silently and, shutting the door behind him, sat in front of her staring at her again.
'Why is he always staring at me? And why did he have to follow me in here to do it?' She thought angrily. She glared at him. "What! Have you come to harass me too?!" She snapped through tears.

Dylan just remained quiet and handed her a role of paper towels to wipe her eyes. "I'm not here to harass you" He said blankly in a deep voice.

Karyan hesitated a moment before taking the paper towels, thinking it was another cruel joke, but eventually took them and dried her eyes. "Then why did you follow me? To throw things at me? To beat me up? finally joining the crowd instead of being the spectator I guess." she hissed at him.

"No, no, and no. I followed you because I've been watching you for a while now and realized we're not that different" He said with a small smile.

"Yeah right... You're nothing like me! you're normal! I'm just a freak!" she snapped and threw the paper towels at him. "if you're just going to keep teasing me, then go away!"

"I'm not teasing you, I'm serious.." He said still keeping his voice calm. "I know what it's like to feel cast out and ridiculed." He added quietly.

"And how's that? hm? You get a pimple and everyone called you pizza face?" She snapped still glaring at him.
Dylan chuckled at that. "No, heh, not quite. It's because I can do this." He said then transformed into a dog and barked at her a couple times.

Karyan let out a choke scream and tried to scurry back further into the wall. "What the heck are you?!" She yelled in complete terror at what this boy had just done.

Dylan changed back to normal looking concerned by her reaction. "I'm a shape-shifter, Karyan. And I know what you can do, you're what's called a Tracker" he explained softly.

Karyan tried to calm down a bit as he told her what she was. "A-A tracker?" she asked her voice shaking. "Is that why I can see people in my mind and know where they are?" she asked.

Dylan nodded. "There's a place a little ways from here that taught me more of I can do. Maybe they can teach you more about tracking."He offered smiling slightly again.

Karyan was silent for a long time looking at him. then said"What is this place you're talking about?" She wasn't sure if she could believe him.

"It's a government agencies that employs special people,like you and I, to work for them. As well as teach us more about what we can do." He explained. "You also do get bullied or picked on there. Because most of the people there and like us."He added.

Karyan thought about it for a moment. A place where she would actually fit in? A place where she wouldn't be treated as a freak anymore? Her family flashed into her mind for a moment, but even her mother, and father treat her differently form her older sister. She sighed and after a moment more of thought she nodded. "Alright I'll go with you." She said smiling for the first time in a long time.
As Karyan left her old life to go with Dylan to this Government place. She was oddly at peace with it all.She didn't feel sad about leaving her family, and she definitely didn't feel bad about leaving school. 

As she began working with the governement, on hunting down dangerous gifteds on the loose or other targets she was given she made a few friends that never called her freak. One is called Iris, and even though she was a bit tempermental she was alright as long as she no one got her angry. Another is Eliza, She's actually not a gifted but was in a family of gifted that previously worked for the government, she refuses to talk about how she got there. The last is Dylan, he was the first one she ver befriended,and came to love more than a friend. She enjoys working for the government and if given the chance to go back or to stay, she would always pick to stay over going back to that horrible life again.
Diz
Diz

Back to top Go down